"403 Forbidden" error trying to access API

Discussion in '[bd] API' started by WMG, Nov 4, 2014.

1. WMG

WMG New Member

I have set up a client in XenForo, and have the API Key and API Secret. I have entered those into WordPress, along with the URI: http://forums.xxxxx.net/api . It appears to access the API properly, yet I get this error:

Code:
    Warning: file_get_contents(http://forums.xxxxx.net/api/index.php?forums/&oauth_token=) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /usr/www/......../wordpress/wp-content/plugins/xenforo-api-consumer/includes/helper/api.php on line 245
    If it could not find the API at all, it would have shown a 404 error. If I visit the API URL in the browser, I get this:

Code:
    {"errors":["You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."],"system_info":{"visitor_id":0,"time":1415088888}}
    I am at a loss as to what I should try next. File permissions and ownership for the API files and folders are all readable. What should I look at next?

Thanks!

2. WMG

WMG New Member

This is what shows up in the Apache log:

Code:
    www.forums.xxxxxx.net 216.92.190.115 - - [04/Nov/2014:14:36:19 -0500] "GET /api/index.php?forums/&oauth_token= HTTP/1.0" 403 455 "-" "-"

Doesn't it look as though something is broken there? oauth_token= has nothing after it. In other words, it does not look like a valid GET request.

3. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

Looks like you locked down your forums access for guest?

4. WMG

WMG New Member

If it's that simple, I will open the forum (without revealing any of the forum nodes) and give it a try.

I am still learning how to use the XenForo add-on, so I will be back with more questions. I notice that the use of "Tokens" on the XenForo side wasn't explained in the setup document I viewed, but let me get past this first hurdle before I make a complete mess of things. ;)

Thanks much!

1. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
      Staff Member

xfrocks @WMG I hope it work :D

5. WMG

WMG New Member

Good news--I got it working! I am going to start setting things up now to test it out. My staff will like this. :)

I've been a XF user since the days of 1.0 beta releases, and it took me a while to remember how I had "locked" the forum! :D

1. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
      Staff Member

xfrocks @WMG Yeah, we tend to forget the most simple bit... until it gets big!

2. MeddlingMoose

MeddlingMoose New Member

MeddlingMoose @WMG Hey! I'm having a similar issue to this, mind sharing how you solved it with your site? :)

Thanks so much!

6. MeddlingMoose

MeddlingMoose New Member

*I've solved the problem now! :)