Difference between 'Single Blog' or 'Network'

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Fixxer, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Have feature suggestions for the WordPress plugin? Post or vote here.
  1. Fixxer

Fixxer New Member

Just wondering,

Image:
    [​IMG]

I got to this part, and i cant understand which to choose because i don't know what the capabilities of each are and it doesn't seem very clear about the difference.

Anyone able to explain this?

I'm wanting to run a Gaming website with a lot of users/members, a very active site which will be a community.
    What do i choose? :S

2. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

Normally, you would run WordPress in single blog mode. It's 99% that you won't need network mode if you are asking this question. In worst case, you can always upgrade your WordPress installation later as you need it.

Fixxer likes this.
  3. Fixxer

Fixxer New Member

I found (i think) an issue.

image:
    [​IMG]

This is saying that if you want to set up a network, follow previous example (3a) (which is the former) and if you need the latter (follow on), however the follow on (From what i can read here) Goes on about network installation.

Did you mix those up accidently?

Also, where do i find the instructions to follow the Blog setup? (As i can only see the network one mentioned there)

Thanks.

Edit 2:

Ohhh, i see the confusion now.

3a, i just passively followed, assuming it was a lead-on from the instructions of 2.

I suggest making a note at 3a saying something like;

"THIS IS WHERE YOU CHOOSE BLOG OR NETWORK SETUP,

READ 3A for BLOG, or skip 3A and read 3B (Below 3A) for NETWORK setup instead.
    "

Just a suggestion ^^

Luckily i needed blog, because if network was first i'd have accidently followed it assuming it was what i was supposed to do :p

4. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

The instruction is 3b is correct. For network mode, there are 2 ways to configure it (network has many blogs). Glad you found what you need anyway.

5. Fixxer

Fixxer New Member

Yeah sorry, i just edited my post.

Was a bit confusing.

1. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
      Staff Member

xfrocks @Fixxer Maybe I need to rewrite it :p

6. Fixxer

Fixxer New Member

For the most part it was probably the best guide i've ever followed!

Only that one part where the user hits 3a, you basically need to say to them in your own way something that tells them to hold on and decide that this is the part that you choose Blog or Network path :)

Good guide!

1. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
      Staff Member

xfrocks @Fixxer Thank you, I have taken note :)