[bd] Mail Amazon SES Bounce Help

Discussion in 'Other' started by clackey, Mar 22, 2017.

1. clackey

clackey New Member

I have the add-on sending email successfully through amazon ses on 3 of my forums. Unfortunately I've had no luck getting it to process the SNS notifications via the api. I'm fairly certain I have it set up correctly but could have missed something. Are there any instructions or any way to test the process?

I can take snapshots and post or email the settings in aws if you'd like.

Attached Files:

2. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

A common issue is having an email config instead of domain config which will override SNS notification if XenForo is set to use that address as sender. Do you have any email configured?

3. clackey

clackey New Member

In xenforo email options I have no Automated Bounced Email Handler set up. I do have Bounced Email Processing selected in [bd]email options.

In AWS I have both an email and http notification set up (below). I was assuming this was ok as it'd notify both?

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 11.38.33 AM.png

4. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

I meant you should only have your domains in this page:

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 4.27.07 PM.png

And no email addresses in this page:

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 4.27.10 PM.png

5. clackey

clackey New Member

6. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

Yes, normally the email addresses are not required if you have control of the entire domain. And some may have SNS configured per email which will ignore any SNS configured the that domain. So if you have configured the domain, it's okie to remove email addresses. That may fix the issue with SNS notifications not being received.

7. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

@xfrocks I have the following configuration:

Transactional Email from XF:
    • I am sending to SES through SMTP.
    • I have confirmed my domain in SES and email is arriving.
    • Bounced mail is configured to go by SNS to an outlook address. (no catchall)
      Xenforo is not reading the bounce mail notifications.
    Personal email:
    • I have configured protonmail as my custom domain email provider. I am sending and receiving email here. This works.
      Protonmail does not offer IMAP / POP
    Can I use bd mail to make SNS go to XF?

1. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
      Staff Member

xfrocks @alfa1 Probably won't work with the current version of the add-on. A few things need to be changed to support this scenario.

I think you can configure XF bounce email processing to handle the "outlook address". The end result should be the same, a bit trickier to setup though.

2. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

alfa1 @xfrocks Could you explain this?

3. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
      Staff Member

xfrocks @alfa1 Which part are you asking about? The "won't work with current version" or the "handle outlook address"?

8. alfa1

alfa1 Active Member

This part:

1. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
      Staff Member

xfrocks @alfa1 Ah, you said you have configured SES to forward bounce email to some outlook address -> that means you can configure XenForo to log into that inbox and process the bounces there. It's a built-in feature (see below):

Attached Files: