Social Share: Pre-Sales Question

Discussion in 'Other' started by John, Nov 10, 2014.

1. John

John Member

Hey @xfrocks

I am looking at your Social Share plugin for my forum. Just some questions:
    • Can I use this to post my site announcements to twitter automatically?
    • Can I put in my bit.ly account API information to have the links automatically shortened?
    • Can I have it repost on twitter whenever I edit my OP?
    Thank you!

2. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

To answers your questions:
    • Yes.
    • Sorry no, bit.ly is not currently supported. Links in tweet will be shorten automatically by Twitter shortener.
    • No, repost upon edit is not supported. But you can use staff share feature and allow forum staff publish to the site Twitter when needed.

1. John

John Member

John @xfrocks Any chance I could put those in as feature requests? :)

3. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

bit.ly has been planned to be added. The repost for edit is unlikely though.

1. John

John Member

John @xfrocks Not a problem, bitly is more important for me. I would like to track the clicks so that's key :)

2. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
      Staff Member

xfrocks @John Yes, I understand that. It is a highly requested feature.

3. John

John Member

John @xfrocks Thanks! So I have the addon and I'm trying to configure it. How do I set it up so it's tied to my twitter account and set it to post to Twitter after I create a new thread in specific forums?

4. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

You want to tweet your threads only or everyone's threads in the forum? If you want for yours, just go to the forum, create a new thread, check the Twitter check box and it will remember. If you want for everyone's, go to AdminCP > edit the forum, choose auto sharing for threads.

John likes this.
    1. John

John Member

John @xfrocks Seems to work, problem is I don't like the format. It should be customizable in the options.

For instance {thread.title} {thread.url} #hashtag1 @user2

This way it follows this for all the automated tweets. Just a suggestion, needs to be a little more flexible.

5. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

Actually you can customize the tweet by editing XenForo template like "bdsocialshare_title_thread_auto".

1. John

John Member

John @xfrocks Interesting, so I can add the hashtag I want into the title and that's what is used when it's sent to my Twitter account to post?

I just didn't want it to post:

John created new thread XYZ {link}

6. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

You can change it. Yes.