XenForo Guest Account question

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Cuong, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Have feature suggestions for the WordPress plugin? Post or vote here.
  1. Cuong

Cuong Member

Hi,

How can we change xenforo's guest account? At the moment, when I press the change button, it does not allow me to choose but instead automatically choose an account for me (which is an admin account).

Also, a few hours ago, I successfully synced wordpress posts to xenforo with the option "XenForo Guest Account" on. However, at that time the guest account was automatically chosen to be a non admin account (then I deleted that non admin account for testing purpose - and it now chooses the admin account automatically and does not sync anymore). Not sure but I am guessing the problem has something to do with linking to the correct guest account.

2. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

It should work with any account connected as guest account, you just need to make sure you link a valid account (not banned, not deleted) and you check the box.

To change to another account, logout from your admin account in XenForo, click the change link, login as your target account in XenForo, done.

3. Cuong

Cuong Member

Yeah, got the guest account part fixed (thanks :)). Now I could sync new posts but could not sync old posts from wordpress to xenforo (by the same author).

Also, I deleted 2 threads that I created in wordpress for testing purpose and also the corresponding threads in xenforo but I still got this error:
    Code:
    GET /community/api/index.php?posts/&thread_id=78676&page=1&order=natural_reverse&oauth_token=
    Public Request (no client)
    ip, vài giây trước
    Request
    array(7) {
      ["_origRoutePath"] => string(6) "posts/"
      ["_matchedRoutePath"] => string(6) "posts/"
      ["posts/"] => string(0) ""
      ["thread_id"] => string(5) "78676"
      ["page"] => string(1) "1"
      ["order"] => string(15) "natural_reverse"
      ["oauth_token"] => string(0) ""
    }
    Response (404)
    Should the error about the xenforo thread being deleted disappear after the original post in wordpress deleted?

4. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

No, the sync works independently and it doesn't check for WordPress post until it found new comments. It is being improved for the next version though.

5. Cuong

Cuong Member

Regarding old posts not syncing from wordpress to xenforo, I believe that is because during the testing stage of the addon, I synced threads from xenforo to wordpress. Then for some reason, I removed most of those threads in xenforo and keep only those in wordpress. Now I want to sync back those posts in wordpress to xenforo, but it did not work.

So I am guessing that the sync I did long time ago left some traces, and those posts that were obtained from xenforo long time ago can not be sync to new threads in xenforo again.

Is there anyway that I can truncate all of the data relate to syncing posts between the two platforms (preferably keeps users info intact). I want to redo them all over again, this time from wordpress to xenforo, lol (poor planning, but yeah, it happens).

6. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

You can do this (replace your table prefix). User sync will be kept.

Code:
    TRUNCATE wp_xfac_sync;

7. Cuong

Cuong Member

Anyway, for some reason it is all working now! Before I redirected the tag page (that associated with the forum) to a custom page. Not sure if that caused the problem.

But thanks mate, that syntax will become handy if something fails again!

8. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

Good to know :)

Cuong likes this.
  9. Cuong

Cuong Member

#9 Cuong, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Ok here is the trick. Some tags were not gonna be synced, so I made up some new tags and reassigned the posts to the new tags and synced, and some of the tags worked (posts synced), some did not (but since I know which one worked, I just need to assign all posts to that tags!). I don't know why and which tag names would make it work (in general).

Another problem:
    1. Create a tag, say A and assign a post to that tag A
    2. Associate the tag A with a forum
    3. Manual sync.
    4. Create another tag, say B and assign the same post to this tag (so the post belong to two tags).
    5. Move the thread created in 3. to another forums, say forum "new"
    6. associate tag B with forum "new"
    7. Manual sync
    8. Now you might see another thread created in forum "new", which comes from the same wordpress post.

1. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
      Staff Member

xfrocks @Cuong Actually that's expected. If a post matches 2 tags, it will be synced to 2 forums (unless 2 tags are pointed to the same forum). Because you moved the thread in XenForo, the WordPress plugin doesn't know that and still work as designed.

2. Cuong

Cuong Member

Cuong @xfrocks Make sense :)

xfrocks likes this.
  10. Cuong

Cuong Member

Ok, just tested. I had to find a tag name that make the wordpress posts sync to the corresponding forums. But if it worked, I could change the name and slug to anything and it would still sync (new) posts attached to it.

11. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

There is no restriction to which tag can be sync and which tags are not. So in practice, any tags should work. You found something?

12. Cuong

Cuong Member

No, nothing in pattern. So, I tried to create a tag called "Ăn chay" and then tag a post with Ăn chay, associate the tag to a forum then sync, nothing appeared. Then I created a new tag called Hallo2, associate the same post to the new tag. Associate the new tag to the same forum, then sync. It worked. Now I removed Ăn chay and renamed Hallo2 to Ăn chay (also the slug to an-chay), associate another post to the tag, sync it worked!

I will try to find the pattern myself and report back. It's not a big problem cause we have a workaround anyway.

13. Cuong

Cuong Member

Ok here is the new found pattern. Each time I wanted to associate a (different) tag to a forum, I would first associate a post to the tag. Then I would create a dummy tag and tag the post with the dummy tag, or use any dummy (now the post has 2 tags). Sync, it worked for me. I then removed the dummy tag from the post. Only needed to do that once for each tag.

So the problem was (for me) it did not work with only one tag per post (first time).

14. Cuong

Cuong Member

#16 Cuong, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    This is another one:

If I created a tag and then associated the tag to a forum before tagging a post with the tag then everything worked fine. The sync happened almost instantaneously. If however, I created the tag, attach a post to the tag before linking the tag to a forum then the previously mentioned problem would occur. So the order here is important.

15. xfrocks

xfrocks XenForo rocks!
    Staff Member

Please note that the sync happens upon post publish (immediately). It doesn't relate to Manual Sync.